Thursday, May 20, 2010

Dr. Howser

The first group to come down, consisting of Purdue and Mizzou students, is almost done. Purdue will stay for another week, and another group will join them on Sunday.
We visited the Chinandega dump on Monday. Over 300 families have been moved from there to a village called Villa Catalina which Amigos started. Still, there are over 300 families living at the dump as a way of life. They collect 100 pounds of metal for $5 and that gets them by for a week. Amigos has plenty of room left in the Villa for families to continue to move out, but it is hard for them to see the long term benefits of doing so. It would require them to adapt to a whole new way of life. Pray for the families to be courageous to move out of the dump.

Our first Iguana is no more. After I found out that we couldn't keep him as a pet, I sold him to a Nicaraguan man who took him home for food. We have since then, found an "Iguana Verde" that is not instinctually malicious like the first kind we had. His name is Dr. Doogie Howser. I'll keep you informed.

It is hot. 91 degrees today with a heat index of 107. That means that it may as well be 107. I am adjusting to the heat pretty well though. I was sick for a day and half because of dehydration. Drinking 2 gallons of water a day apparently is not enough for my big frame down here. I am now trying to drink around 3 gallons a day.

Lastly, all the kids in the Villa, call me "Gordo". This is because, well, I'm fat. They all run up and play with my stomach like a punching bag. They just don't see too many well fed Gringos down here.

More to come.




Joey







Families looking through the dump for cans and scrap metal.







At Villa Catalina







Group Devo time.

Location:Chinandega

No comments:

Post a Comment