Monday, December 12, 2011

Crappy Rocking Chairs.

I'm worshiping whatever gets all my good affections and attention.  Mostly, that's me because I'm bent towards selfishness.  But, we all have our great moments.  And in those moments we get a glimpse through our creator's eyes and we are filled with clarity and a joy that seems to overflow from our hearts.  It seems to glow from our eyes and it’s contagious to those who are around us.  It happens when we worship with our lives, through our actions and other small details that would have otherwise just been extra filling between the “big events”.

I felt the weight of this truth several years ago when I was working at a fine dining restaurant, Domino's Pizza.   Romans 12:1 hit my mind and heart with great clarity as I was half-assing a huge pile of dishes.  I was tired and wanted to go home and all that stood in my way was about an hours worth of cleaning dishes. I was determined to do it in 20 minutes.  About 10 minutes in, the still, small, satisfying, loving and patient voice said something like..."Hey buddy,  you're better than this, wash the dishes like they're supposed to be washed." In that moment all I could think about was Romans 12:1  where Paul encourages us to offer our bodies and time and actions as a life of worship.  I was worshiping my selfish ambitions to just sprinkle some soap and water on the greasy pans and get on my way.  We sell ourselves short by doing things with half-hearted effort, no matter how miniscule they may seem.  Obviously this plays out in much more meaningful areas other than washing dishes.  But the question lures around me so often since that night.  If I can't do the dishes with integrity, what CAN I do with integrity?
The Lord gives us freedom when he says "...WHATEVER you do, do it with your whole heart...." (Col 3:23).  We will do many things.  Things like washing dishes and going to work everyday and building relationships and sharing our lives with those around us.  And in all these things, we have an opportunity to do them well. We have a chance to do ALL things with purpose.  All these things are just things without purpose and intentionality behind them. But Paul encourages us to make the most of all our opportunities (Col 4:5).   

God didn't created us to get tasks done.  He hasn't forgotten a single grain of sand on any beach in the world, and he hasn't filled our days with meaningless tasks either.  He knows our steps and our conversations and our environments.  Let this hit home for a second. He created you to be exactly where you are right now. No one else can serve and influence those around you like you can. There are gifts and talents that He gave you that someone you work with needs to see (Rom 12:3-8, Acts 17:26-27).  So....how better can we serve Him than seeking to please him in every situation that he's created us to walk through AND even more.... not just when we’re in front of people.  I bet you Jesus didn't make one crappy table or chair as a carpenter. I bet they were strong and awesome.  For real though, I'd want one of those rocking chairs on my front porch, if I had a front porch.  

Father, make us complete in you.  Continue to raise us up to worship you at Church, and in Spirit and in Truth when you’re the only one watching.  Thanks for the opportunity to wash dishes well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment