Friday, August 20, 2010

Como una fuenta

Watch these two short clips before reading below.





YouTube Video












YouTube Video





The shirtless child is Belkie. She and her younger sister showed up to the school in the village for a craft project we were doing with all the kids. The village is called 'El Chanco' and they have no water access for miles. Belkie and her sister Kristin walked up wearing only underwear and covered in dirt from head to toe. I spent the next hour and a half showing them how to do their crafts. Belkie continually looked up and smiled at me as she leaned on my side while working on our crafts. Towards the end, I noticed Belkie & Kristin eating glue leftover from the crafts. In broken Spanish I promised them real food if they would follow me back to the bus.

I have never been so broken for another person in my entire life. And I almost regret trying to post this because a few sentences will not do justice to describe how overwhelmed and taken I was by these two little girls.

The Lord is at work here. In these people and in all of the hearts of us visiting "gringos". I will never forget today and although a blog post does little justice for something like this, I had to share what God allowed me to experience.

We have recently drilled a well for El Chanco and as soon as the piping is finished, water will be available in the village for the first time. We took a group from
The village out there today to see the well, to see the hope that lies soon ahead. Most of them have never experienced running water, including Belkie and Kristin.
Right after Belkie and Kristin took their first showers ever, we all shared peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that I had packed for lunch.














....with their finished crafts...













Running water!
















More to come.
Joey



Location:El Chanco

No comments:

Post a Comment