Friday, July 2, 2010

This lifevest doesn't fit...

We just got home from a rediculous venture. This type of thing is begging for lawsuits in the States. They don't even know what that is down here so if you pay a guide $10, they'll take you to a canyon to float/tube down it no matter how high the water is.

Yours truly couldn't fit in a lifevest so when the tiny Nicaraguan man helped me down the last ledge and ancle deep into the class 3 rapid and said, "¿peude nadar?"....I said, yes, I can swim! And before I could realize what had happened I found myself gasping for air as I was floating down white water rapids, feet first with my stomach to the sky. It was after this quick zip through the water that I demanded an innertube. Yes, an innertube. I didn't want to float down the WHITE WATER RAPIDS without a raft or lifevest so I was given an innertube...an innertube for class 3 rapids! (it was incredible)

A four hour guided trip turned into five and a half because the water was so high. We were continually getting out of the water and hiking along the sides to avoid rapids that looked like they should have been featured in the olympics.

Remind me to tell you more when I see you and we are eating cheese dip together sometime in the near future. This is the most rediculous thing I have ever done.
















Not only was this an adventurous trip, but a beautiful one. Did I mention the river was at the bottom of a canyon? There were a few relaxing spots along the way. This was one of them
















Everyone had to/(got to) jump off a cliff about 15 feet above the water. We walked up and around a rapid that was too rough to ride and had to jump back in here.
















Yeah.
















There were many parts of th canyon where the river narrowed to less than 10 feet wide. Keep in mind, this is a stock photo from a Nica travel website. Again, we weren't in rafts, we were in tubes...
















I may have swam down this one. I don't know, it's all a blur right now.

All 30 of us made it back safely with just a few minor scratches. What a day.

More to come
Joey




Location:Somoto Canyon

No comments:

Post a Comment